Our Memphis veterinarians discuss the signs and symptoms of dog poisoning, as well as what to do if you suspect your dog has been poisoned.
What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?
Keep calm and make sure the poison source is out of reach of your dog. Then, as soon as possible, take your dog to the veterinarian.
Call Us: (901) 382-1950
Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs
The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Heart problems
- Kidney failure
- Excessive bruising or bleeding
- Unsteady on feet
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Oral irritation
- Pale gums
- Inability to urinate
What substances are poisonous to dogs?
The majority of poisoning cases seen by our Memphis veterinarians are the result of dogs getting into harmful substances around the house. Certain foods, medications, and household items that are safe for humans can be harmful to dogs if consumed.
The following substances are the most common dog poisons we see at Stage Road Animal Hospital.
Dogs can be poisoned by over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil, and Aleve, as well as herbal and nutraceutical products. When ingested by dogs, prescription medications that are beneficial to humans can be extremely poisonous.
Animals and humans have different metabolisms. Chocolate, onions, and garlic, for example, are perfectly safe for humans but dangerous, if not fatal, for dogs.
Medications like painkillers, de-wormers, and flea/tick treatments can be poisonous to dogs if consumed or used incorrectly.
Household cleaning products are a common source of poisoning in pets, causing stomach and respiratory issues. Antifreeze, paint thinner, and pool chemicals all contain chemicals that can be poisonous to dogs.
Rodenticides & Insecticides
Rat poison and insecticides can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for.
Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms.
Lawn & Garden Products
Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.
For more information about what to do if your pet has been poisoned, contact Stage Road Animal Hospital in Memphis for advice.
Looking for a vet in Memphis?
We're always accepting new patients, so contact our veterinary hospital today to book your pet's first appointment.
Related Articles View All
Facial swelling is typically a sign that your dog is experiencing an underlying health condition. Today our Memphis vets share some of the most common causes of facial swelling in dogs and what you should do.
Routine pet checkups are an essential part of your animal's annual care schedule, designed to protect your dog or cat's good health now and as they continue to age. Today our Memphis vets provide 5 reasons why annual dog and cat exams are important.
Are you considering a Wellness Plan for your dog or cat but aren't sure if Wellness Plans are worth the price? Our Stage Road Animal Hospital vets explain how Wellness plans work to save you money and help to maintain your pet's good long-term health.